The Q&A Archives: Shasta Blooms Disappearing

Question: Not your usual animal feasting. I bought new Shasta daisy and planted them in a wonderful sunny well drained spot. The next day I noticed two buds had pie shaped wedges cut out of them. Didn't think much about it until I saw more of the blooms with chunks cut out. Pieces of the bloom were on the ground. If its a varmint, it has to be a very small one!
A second Shasta was planted in a different part of the yard and is fine. Is this a worm of some kind?
Thank you for your help. Your answers are always so wonderful and helpful (I always search before I write!)

Answer: I have seen both chipmunks and birds pick at and even remove flowers, maybe one of these is the culprit in this case. You might try watching in the early morning and see if you can catch the critter. In the meantime you might try using a rodent repellent, and possibly a scare crow or other bird scarer device. If on closer inspection you should find beetles, you could try a neem based spray as a repellent for those.