The Q&A Archives: Winter Begonia Care

Question: I brought my two Begonias into the house and now I don't know how to care for them, so they will bloom next spring.

Answer: If you have tuberous begonias, they will bloom all summer and into the fall, but they won't make very good houseplants over the winter. When the leaves begin to yellow and wilt, reduce watering. When the stems have fallen off the plant, lift the tuber, shake off any dirt, dry the tuber in the sun for about 3 days, and store in a cool, dry place such as a garage. In the spring little pink buds will appear and you can repot the tuber and place it outdoors. <br>If you have regular bedding plant begonias, put them in the sunniest window possible in your house or under grow lights, pinch back the stems as they get leggy and the plant should flower into the winter for you. Reduce the watering and fertilizing to a minimum during the winter.Begonias can easily rot if overwatered this time of year.