The Q&A Archives: Pruning Buddlia davidii

Question: I have a large Buddlia davidii. When and how much should I prune it to make it shorter and bushier? Roy Willmis Woodland, WA

Answer: Buddlia davidii can be pruned in February to any height desirable -- even to the ground, says Ray Maleike, ornamental specialist at Washington State University's Research and Development Center in Puyallup. Buddlia davidii grow very well in western Washington with little care. They flower on the current season's growth and even if cut to the ground, they'll grow to a bushy, six-foot-tall shrub and flower by midsummer, says Maleike. Actually, the more severe the pruning, the longer the flower panicles will be the following year. If not pruned, Buddlia davidii can grow as tall as 10 feet, he notes.