The Q&A Archives: Browning Flowers On "astibe Chinensis "visions"

Question: These plants had beautiful feathery purplish plumes when I planted them about three weeks ago. The purple flowers are now turning brown.

I am not at all familiar with how to take care of this perennial.. Do I prume the brownish flower as soon as it turns brown?

My goal is to have the three (3) plants I planted fill out as much as possible. My specific question is how do I prune them to fill out and enjoy the flowers as long as possible.

Answer: As with most perennials, the bloom period of astilbe is only a few short weeks. There is not too much you can do to prolong it. Once the flowers turn brown, remove the bloom stems by trimming them off at the base. Astilbes will grow best in morning sun and a rich, moisture retentive soil with plenty of organic matter added. Using an organic mulch will help to keep the soil moist and will also feed the soil over time as it breaks down. Enjoy your astilbes!