The Q&A Archives: Use Of Last Years Kentucky King Bean Seeds

Question: I ordered a 1/2 pound of Kentucky King Bean seeds from your company last year. I had a great harvest last year and the beans were great.

This year - I planted numorous beans and only two sprouted. Can you use the beans from last year? Or was the poor sprouting due to the recent inconsistancy in the weather? Please advise.

Answer: Some of the beans should still be viable after a year, but the germination rate will be lower because of their age. Storage conditions also have a strong effect on viability over time. Planting into overly wet or compacted soil will also reduce your odds of success. You could test the seeds by placing some as a sample on a damp paper towel, wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it moist and set it in a bright location out of direct sun. Check the germination rate and extrapolate that to the rest of the seeds you have.