The Q&A Archives: Camphor Tree

Question: I have a three year old Camphor Tree which is about 2 foot tall. I have fertilized it, used Vitamin B12, and it doesn't seem to grow. I have starved it for water, I have watered it religiously. My neighbor said it might be like a citrus tree and be very acidic. My question is: Are Comphor trees Acidic and if so, do they need a high acid content in the soil? Thank you.

Bob Fondersmith

Answer: Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora) is a very slow-growing tree, eventually reaching 50' in height. It grows equally well in full sun to light shade with little to copious amounts of water. It's just the nature of the plant to grow quite slowly. The roots are hightly susceptible to verticillium which is brought about by poorly draining soils. For that reason, I'd be inclined to provide less rather than more water. It isn't fussy about soil pH, and doesn't require regular feeding. Sounds as though you're doing everything right to assure a healthy tree. Keep up the good work, but expect that it will continue to grow at its own pace.