The Q&A Archives: Control Of Groundhogs In Flowerbeds.

Question: recently in my area there has been a lot of construction , forcing the groundhogs to migrate into our area in the suburbs. iam at a loss in trying to control the damage to my flowerbeds. do you have any suggestions as to what i can do othr than trapping or killing them.

Answer: A fence may keep them out, although they can climb as well as tunnel under a fence. Try using a sturdy wire mesh and bury the bottom edge of it horizontal to the ground and bent outward about a foot. Next, add a string of electric fence wire to keep them from climbing it. I would also caution you that groundhogs are very unpredictable wild animals that give terrible bites. If they are anywhere near an area where people frequent, I would strongly suggest removing them.