The Q&A Archives: Leaf Damage On Avocado Tree

Question: I planted two avocado trees this year and something is chewing their leaves. They have about 10-20% leaf damage. Could you suggest organic and nonorganic remedies? Also, should I give them any fertilizer?

Answer: Without knowing the pest, it's difficult to recommend a control. Not all insecticides work against all pests. Otherwise healthy trees can withstand 20% damage to the canopy without problem. No treatment should be required at this point. Try to capture whatever is gnawing on the leaves and take it into your local Cooperative Extension office (408-299-2635) for identification. Once you know what you're dealing with, you can decide whether or not the potential damage warrants control.

Avocado trees do not need regular fertilizing. Feed only if growth is slow or leaf color is pale.