The Q&A Archives: Hollyhock Flowers

Question: Could you please tell me if one could use hollyhocks as a cut flower? I wasn't sure if cutting the flower stalk would harm or damage the plant. Would the stalk that was cut in half then die or would it develop side shoots?
I thought it would be nice to enjoy the hollyhock flowers in a vase indoors as well as admiring the flowers outdoors.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you!

Denise Showell

Answer: Hollyhocks can be used as cut flowers, cutting them does not adversely affect the plant; it serves as a method of deadheading or preventing the plant from trying to set seed and this can help the plant stay vigorous. Side shoots may develop if the plant is growing vigorously enough, but they will not rival the first main stems. Keep in mind that these plants often act as biennials and as a result tend to die off after blooming in their second year. In order to keep a patch going, you would need to allow some of the plants to flower and set seed so they can reseed themselves.