The Q&A Archives: Honey Suckle Seeds

Question: Last fall I picked some seed pods from a honey suckle vine that had grown on my father's homestead for years--I am now trying to get them to start growning and have had no luck--they don't seem to be germanating at all. Any suggestions?

Answer: Lonicera (honeysuckle) seeds need a pre-germination treatment (called stratification) before the seeds will sprout. In fact, they need alternating warm and cold treatments. Place your seeds in dry sand and keep at 86F to 68F for 60 days, then seal in plastic and refrigerate (41F) for 60 days. After these treatments, sow 1/8" to 1/4" deep in growing medium (potting soil or garden soil). Germination should occur in 40-60 days. Hope the above information helps your success rate!