The Q&A Archives: Bouganvillea Hardiness

Question: I brought my bouganvillea from the Bahamas and its done well outside. How do I protect it from the frost? Can I cover it with straw or should I wrap it in burlap or plastic?

Answer: Generally bouganvillea can weather the winter in a sheltered spot as far north as USDA Zone 8. You're in Zone 7, so it would be risky to leave it out for the winter. If you want to try it, don't worry about protecting the aboveground vine - the plant will regrow from the crown (under the soil surface) as long as the ground doesn't freeze. I'm not sure if it's possible to mulch well enough to prevent soil from freezing, but perhaps erecting a small plastic tunnel over the area would make a difference. <br><br>It would be safer to pot your vine and bring it in for the winter, so long as you have a very sunny window for it to enjoy. Leave it in the pot and take it outside for the warm season.