The Q&A Archives: What Type Of Trees Grow Well In My Area.

Question: What type of trees and hedges will work in my Northern California area? We have alot of slate in the soil, and not much water.

Answer: Some of the best trees and shrubs for the conditions you describe include Acacia, Catalpa, Casuarina, Chilopsis linearis, Grevillea (silk oak), Koelreuteria paniculata (goldenrain), Maclura pomifera (osage orange), Olea (olive), Quercus (oak) and Umbellularia californica (California laurel) trees. Shrub choices include Aloysia triphlla (lemon verbena), Carpenteria californica (bush anemone), Ceanothus (wild lilac), Cercis occidentalis (western redbud), Cytsus (broom), Dodonaea viscosa (hop bush), Juniperus, Nandina (heavenly bamboo), Punica (pomegranate), Pyracantha, Rosa rugosa, and Taxus (yew). All plants will need to be watered regularly their first year. After that, they should get along with occasional watering during the hottest part of the growing season.