The Q&A Archives: Fuchia Leaf Curl

Question: Last time I wrote to you I was so happy to receive your helpful reply, that I am back. Here on the central coast of California we are fortunate enough to grow beautiful fuchias. On the down side, we seem to have a desease that I understand from my local nursery is spread by our sweet humming birds. The leaves curl, and I was told to throw out the plants. Someone told me today that there is something that can be sprayed on the uninfected plants to help protect them. do you know anything about this? Your help is much appreciated. Chris

Answer: Hummingbirds love fuchsia flowers (isn't that one of the reasons we grow them??) but because hummers visit many, many blossoms, they can potentially spread diseases. What you're describing is a virus (Tomato Spotted Wilt) and there is no cure. There really is no practical prevention, either. Plants are either resistant or susceptible, and fuchsia's are susceptible. If you do not destroy the affected plants, hummingbirds will continue to visit and spread the problem to other susceptible plants. Wish I had better news for you!

Glad we were able to help you with your previous question!