The Q&A Archives: Red Broom Or Cytissus

Question: I saw a bush that was called Red Broom at a garden shop. I had already bought way over my limit so I figured I'd go back next week. Well they were all gone. I asked the botanical name and they said it was Cytissus. I can't find anything on the web about this bush. Can you tell me anything about it?

Answer: Cytissus or Scotch Broom is a spring blooming shrub that requires full sun and a very well drained, even sandy, soil. The soil should not be overly rich for best results. These plants are striking in bloom but tend to look unkempt the rest of the season so may be best planted in informal groups. Individual plants may also be shortlived or large portions of a plant may die back and the grouping helps disguise any gaps.