The Q&A Archives: Best Time To Relocate A Burning Bush

Question: I have a Dwarf Burning Bush that is 4ft high and 4ft wide it is unable to stay in its current location because of remodeling. I enjoy the fall display of color that this bush provides for me and do not wish to lose its beautiful display. I wish to move the bush to a new location and was wondering when would be the best time to move it and how to go about doing so. I also would like to know when the best time is for pruning the burning bush. Your response will be greatly appreciated thank you.

That is a rather large plant to try to move, but the best time would be in the fall, followed by very early spring while the plant is still dormant. You will need to water the plant deeply the day before you move it, then dig as large a rootball as possible (this will be large and heavy) and replant immediately at the same depth it grew before. Water well, mulch, and keep the soil moist but not soggy until the plant reestablishes just as one would for a new plant. If you leave many roots behind, trim back the top portion to compensate for that. Burning bushes have a fairly symmetrical natural shape and do not as a rule require much if any pruning.