The Q&A Archives: Hardiness In Kentucky Of Buttons And Bows Hydrangea

Question: I just bought, at a nursery here in Louisville, one of your Buttons and Bows French Hydrangea shrubs as a gift for someone who also lives in Kentucky. He and I then discovered that apparently it will not be hardy here in Kentucky. We are Zone 6 and the range is Zones 7-9. Will this plant need to be kept in a container and brought in each winter? Is it possible that if planted in a protected location and well mulched it will survive in the ground?

Answer: If planted in a very sheltered location, out of wind and perhaps surrounded by buildings that would help hold heat at night, and well mulched, the plant might survive. Microclimate can certainly add a half a zone of protection in some cases. Alternatively it could be kept in a cool greenhouse or poly shed over the winter.