The Q&A Archives: Protecting Garden From Rabbits & Groundhogs

Question: Having trouble with Rabbits & Groundhogs. Even with a fence around. They are eating the tender leave of Beans that are sprouting & the Cabbage plants. Is there something I could spinkle around the plot (it's a 10' X 15') in our backyard.

Answer: Both of these pests can be very persistent. The rabbits will not climb a fence, but a ground hog could. They may also tunnel under a fence. Unfortunately, groundhogs can be very unpredictable and cause terrible bites, so I would strongly suggest you contact an animal control professional and have the groundhog removed as soon as possible.

Bunnies can be fenced out, you need a fence about two feet high and then bury a portion of the fence horizontally toward the outer perimeter so that any digging near the fence will be stopped that way. Some gardeners report success using dried blood as a repellent or allowing a pet dog or cat to patrol the area, others use the commercial animal repellent sprays or homemade versions based on garlic and or red pepper, but in my experience a fence is more reliable in the long term.