The Q&A Archives: Ugly Green Tomato Worm

Question: My question is everytime we plant tomatos after they start growing we then see these ugly green tomato worms. Not sure what the correct name is for them but I have searched everywhere to get info on them and can't find any. I do know the only way to get them off is to pull them off with a pair of pilars and crush them which my husband does I can't stand them. Is there any way to prevent them...Is there a product out there in the market to put on the plants to stop them from getting on the plants.I have used garden lime nothing stops them.

Answer: Garden lime would not be recommended for pest control.

Tomato hornworms can be controlled by hand picking as you are doing, or with Bt used according to the label instructions. (This will kill all kinds of caterpillars.) The caterpillar is also naturally attacked by a wasp that lays its eggs on it. If you find a hornworm covered with what look like grains of rice, try to relocate it and allow it to live so the eggs may hatch -- this will nurture its own natural enemy.