The Q&A Archives: Ground Covers

Question: I am wondering what easy care ground covers I can use, individually or in combination, that will provide the most color from spring to fall. The area I will be planting has full sun in the hottest part of the day.

Answer: There are a number of low-growing, spreading perennials suitable for full sunshine. Most provide seasonal color and some flowering off and all all summer long. Some suggestions include Ajuga (carpet bugle), Arabis (rockcress), Armeria (thrift), Aubrieta, Aurinia saxatilis (basket-of-gold), Cerastium tomentosum (snow-in-summer), Dianthus, Echeveria, Sedum, Euphorbia myrsinites, Potentilla, Vinca and Saponaria. Be sure to prepare the soil prior to planting by digging organic matter into the top 4"-5", and don't forget to water regularly during the summer months to help your new plants become established.