The Q&A Archives: Gizzard Plant

Question: I bought a plant that was called a gizzard plant and I don't know anything about it. Can you help me out? I'm sure it has another name but I don't know what it is. The tag on it only said gizzard plant. It is a beautiful plant but I don't know how it grows and where it should grow. Please help. Thanks, Bernice

Answer: Gizzard plant, Iresine herbstii, is also called Bloodleaf. It's a tender perennial plant grown outdoors in the warmest winter areas or as an indoor plant everywhere else. The plant grows 1'-3' high and wide, needs bright light and moist soil. The leaves are 1"-2" long, oval, and notched at the tips. Leaf color may be purplish red with lighter midrib and veins, or green or bronze with yellowish veins. Stems may be green, pruple or red. Pinch plant tips for bushiness.