The Q&A Archives: Planting Onion Sets

Question: I just purchased a bag of 80 red onion sets, size #1. I will be planting in a raised bed of sandy-composty soil. What will do well as neighbors for my onions in this raised bed?

Answer: Onions are shallow rooted and need moisture near the surface, so your sandy-composty soil should suit their needs. Plant some now and make successive plantings so they don't all mature at once. You should place each set about one to one and a half inches deep and one to two inches apart. Start pulling green onions about three weeks after planting. Anything not harvested green will continue to grow and mature into dry onions.<br><br>A complimentary plant to grow with onions would be anything with the same moisture and sunshine requirements as your onions. Tomatoes, kitchen herbs, or annuals for spring color would do well in the bed.