The Q&A Archives: Help The Cats Are Using My Garden As A Litter Box.

Question: I have heard that moth balls will keep cats from using my garden as a litter box. My question is, will it work and will it harm my veggies or flowers?

Answer: Mothballs are not recommended for garden use. Cats can be quite a pest in the garden. There are several things you can try. One is spreading wire mesh or thorny branches on the ground to make it less attractive. Another is to use a repellent spray, either a commercial formulation or a home made one based on garlic and or red pepper. Next you could try talking to the owner about the dangers faced by outdoor cats, or call animal control if there is a leash law or if they are stray cats. Some gardeners report success using motion sensor activated water sprayers. Finally, wear gloves as the feces can carry diseases.