The Q&A Archives: Caring For My Hibiscus

Question: Can I get cuttings from my Hibiscus or do I have to get
part of the roots to start new plants?

Answer: It is possible to root hibiscus from cuttings. Here are some general guidelines:

Use a well-drained, porous medium for starting your cuttings. Select 5" or 6" cuttings and remove leaves along the bottom inch of the stem. Have your soil moist but not wet. With a pencil make a small hole in the soil to receive the cutting. A rooting hormone may be helpful. Place the cutting in the hole, then cover the entire container with a plastic bag. Put 2 or 3 holes in the bag for ventilation. Use a stick to elevate the plastic bag so that it does not touch cuttings and also to prevent rain water from collecting and smashing cuttings.

I like to place my cuttings under a shrub or some place where they will get a little sun, but not too much. Do not bother the cuttings for 6 to 8 weeks. After that time they should have rooted.