The Q&A Archives: Royal Cape Plumbago Care

Question: I recently purchased a Monrovia Royal Cape Plumbago tree from the local nursery. I would like to know how to care for it. I live in the desert area around Los Angeles California. While I water the tree regularly, it appears to be somewhat dried out. Any suggestions on watering, sun exposure, feeding, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The tree is currently planted in a large pot. Thanks

Answer: Plants growing in containers need special attention. Make sure that when you water, you water thoroughly enough that all of the soil gets moistened. Sometimes plants can be potbound and water runs out of the drainage holes before all of the soil has a chance to soak up water. Depending upon the size of the pot, you may be able to place it into a larger container and water until no air bubbles rise to the surface. This ensures that all of the soil is wet. Plumbagos establish deep, extensive root systems so yours might not be too happy in a container for any length of time. Other than full sunshine and regular water, you only need to feed with a general purpose fertilizer before new growth begins in spring.