The Q&A Archives: Poor Size Of Peppers

Question: I use all the right mulch,organic material and use 5-10-5 als Epson Salt (magnesium)for blosoom setting. the pepper production is great but the size of the peppers are small to medium (not like the supper market)I see in other answers on your web about heavy water in the beginning and then tapering off during fruit.this seems to make no sense but anything is worth a try but there must be some other way to maximize size. P.S. These pepper plants are in 5 gallon containers but i do not think this matters Please help

Answer: Actually, growing the plants in containers could contribute to smaller sized fruit if there is any stress related to watering or soil nutrients or soil temperature or simply room for the roots. Robust plants will naturally produce the best fruit. However, it does sound like you take very good care of them, so the next step would be to look into what variety you are growing. You may find that a different variety of bell pepper would produce larger peppers under the growing conditions you have. Also, make sure you are using compost and fertilizers rich in micronutrients, either a formulation "with minors" or possibly a sea-weed based product. Good luck with your peppers!