The Q&A Archives: Perrenial Salvia , Newly Planted, Now Has Faded Purple Blooms

Question: Recently, I purchased about 5 perrennial salvia plants and planted them in various locations around my property. (3 were in a sun/shade area, the other 2 were in full sun. In spite of the fact that the medium-bright purple blooms were perfect when planted around May 14th, all have faded away to almost brown. Why is this, please, and what should I do ? Are they dying ? Thank you ! Julie Williams

Answer: Rather than dying, it is more likely they are just finished blooming. Perennial salvias, as with most perennials, bloom for only a short period at a time. The blooms will turn pale and dry out as they fade. These faded blooms should be removed from the plants to help them direct their energy toward rooting and becoming established in the garden rather than toward seed production. It also makes the garden look tidier.