The Q&A Archives: Annoying Morning Glory's

Question: I have an acre vegetable garden. And every year, with out fail, I have Morning Glory's growing in them. No matter how much I pull them they just seem to come back. How can I get rid of them without hurting my veggies, and keep them from coming back the next year?

Answer: Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis -- also known as wild Morning Glory or creeping Jenny) is indeed a nasty weed in the garden. Bindweed, can be eradicated from the garden with persistence. Pulling on a weekly basis will eventually wear out the roots. Don't allow it to get out of control, and never ever allow it to flower! Mulching heavily will also help destroy the weed. Keep at it, and you will win the battle! Since it spreads by both roots and seeds, never let it flower.

Spot treat with a product containing glyphosate to gain the upperhand, but don't let the spray touch any desirable plants.