The Q&A Archives: Roots From Bouganvilla Clipping ?

Question: Hello again !

I was in San Francisco on the weekend and saw this amazing deep red bouganvilla. I have never seen this colour before and wonder if it is possible to start roots from a clipping? These plants are so delicate , but is it possible ?

Sincerely ,
Joel Masotti

Answer: Bougainvillea are propagated by cuttings under greenhouse conditions, where temperature and humidity are carefully controlled. If you were growing a plant in your yard, you could propagate it by a process called layering. This process would be far more successful for backyard gardeners and simply involves bending one of the trailing vines down to the ground, making a small nick in the vine, holding the injury open with a toothpick (inserted sideways), and mounding soil over the wounded area. The vine will produce roots at the site of the injury and can then be cut away from the mother plant.

Bougainvillea will not be winter hardy in your growing region but you could grow it in a container and winter it over indoors in a sunny spot, taking it outdoors during the warm spring and summer months.