The Q&A Archives: Rabbits And Hostas

Question: How can I protect my hostas from the rabbits? The are constantly eating them. Thanks

Answer: There are a number of animal repellent sprays that would help deter rabbits from eating the flowers. Try 'Get Away' or 'Deer Away' available from Burpee. 'Deer Away' is efffective in deterring deer and rabbits and lasts 7-10 days without washing off. Natural scent repellents such as coyote and fox urine are also available from Burpee. Another option is fencing. Try 1" chicken wire fence, 2 feet high and buried at least 6 inches deep around your hostas. Consider also interplanting with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or Dusty Miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. Also, you can make your own animal repellent mixture by mixing a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and a dash of soap in a quart of water. Spray on the plants you want to protect.