The Q&A Archives: I Think I May Have A Lime Tree Instead A Lemon Tree

Question: I purchased a lemon tree from a local nursery. I bought it in Arpil and it is now June. It has 2 lemons on it now and they are still green. I wonder if I got a lime tree that was mismarked. Can you tell me if this fruit is a lime that is ready to be picked or is it a lemon that may not be ready for picking yet?

Answer: Lemons can retain green skins for an extended period, so I wouldn't worry about it being a lime. If the fruit is still small (lime size) it isn't ready to be harvested. The rind color is not always a reliable indicator of when citrus is ready to be harvested, as the color changes with the weather. In cool temperatures, lemons will turn from green to yellow. If temperatures don't cool, the fruit can still be ready even if the rind is green. So, wait for the fruit to be the appropriate size and "density" in your hand, rather than relying on it to be yellow.