The Q&A Archives: False Indigo?????

Question: My mother was recently given a perennial called False Indigo, we can't find this name in our plant books so it must have a proper name but what??? I am trying to plant it but I don't know how tall it gets or what conditions it likes. Can you help?

Answer: This is the common name for Baptisia australis. This extremely cold hardy perennial grows into a bush sized plant (about four feet tall and wide) and produces long lasting blue blooms in early spring, about when the Siberian iris bloom. The foliage stays attractive all season. It is deep rooted and does well in full sun and average soil conditions. It is long lived and nearly impossible to transplant, so select a spot for it where it will have enough room when it reaches full size after several years.