The Q&A Archives: Filler For My Slate Garden Path

Question: I have a slate stone path going through my garden and rather than just dirt I would like some green. I tried using a groundcover (some sort of mint) and because of the hot sun on the stone the ground cover just fried. I then tried Dichondra and that worked great last year. This year it turned brown and is ever so slowly coming back. What recommendations would you have for something to fill in between the flat pieces of stone?

Answer: The site you describe; shallow soil, full sunshine and radiated heat, will be hard on any plant. You will have better success with some of the smaller leaved sedums, or wooly thyme, both of which love to ramble between stones. Wish there were a whole list of possibilities, but the situation is quite demanding, and most other plants will give up after a season in the sun. Best of luck!