The Q&A Archives: How To Build Garden Planting Board

Question: I remember my grandfarther using a board to evenly space all of his vegetables plants and seeds.The board had notches cut into it,some small,some larger sothat seeds and transplants could be planted at the right spacing.I can remember planting seedling and moving that board down the rows.Then looking back at my work,and feeling good for all my plants were neatly in place.If I could get plans on how to make this type of planting board,I can then teach my childern.How to get the rows so neat

Answer: Certainly you can use stakes and string to keep the rows straight. Although I have not seen such an ingenious board, perhaps you could make one from a yard stick? Perhaps you could drill holes in it according to typical spacing and then color code the holes. If the board was longer, perhaps measure and drill or cut notches in a longer board using a measuring tape to help space the holes correctly. What a wonderful project -- and great memories!