The Q&A Archives: Storing Seeds

Question: I have various different seeds that I hope to plant over the next few years. What is the best way to store them?

Answer: Generally, its best to store seeds in airtight containers (baby food jars are great!) in a cool, dark place where the temperature doesn't fluctuate very much - a shelf in the basement is a good choice. Be sure to label and date the jars, to prevent future mysteries!If these are seeds you've collected, make sure they are completely dry, or they may mold in storage. As seeds age, their germination rate drops. Some seeds remain viable for many years, and others really aren't worth saving. Some catalogs will even tell you how long you can expect seed to remain viable (Cook's Garden at If this is a something you want to pursue further, contact Seeds of Change has many books on the subject (; ph# 888//762-7333).