The Q&A Archives: Growing Cucmber Plants

Question: I really love cucmbers. I have been trying to grow them the last couple of years. My biggest problem is having them stay off the ground. what do you recommend to do to hav ethe cucmbers grow up and off the soil. Is putting up a "tepee" type of device with three sticks tied together a good idea to assist the cucumbers in growing. Let me know. Thanks John Soss

Answer: Most cucumbers are vining plants and can be grown on a trellis. The trellis needs to provide a mesh framework rather than merely upright as with a teepee. You could use something like a wire fence with large openings or the large opening nylon netting sold for garden trellis. Alternatively you can grow them on the flat but place a good thick layer of straw beneath them as mulch; this also keeps them off the soil.