The Q&A Archives: Plant Identification

Question: Is there a book or other material that would be beneficial in identifying flowering plants (both annuals and perennials) by their leaves and stems? I have moved to a new home with what look like very nice flowering gardens but without flowers as of yet. I am trying to determine by the green foilage what these plants are so I can best care for them, most of the information I find has only the flower picture and very limited pictures of the greenery. Thank you!

Answer: Unfortunately, I do not know of such a book. However, you might try one or more of the following. Invite a friend who is an experienced gardener to help you. Take a photo or sample to a nursery and ask them to help you identify the plant. Hire a garden consultant to help you on site(sometimes nursery help will freelance). Or, take a sample of stem and foliage with you and walk the aisles of the perennial section of a good nursery. With some patience, you should be able to figure out what they are and then be able to look them up in a book for care instructions. Last but not least, be patient and watch for them to bloom, then you will be able to tell quite easily!