The Q&A Archives: Golden Bonanza And Dwarf Pygmy Barberry

Question: In May I planted, among other things, bonanza golden barberry and dwarf pygmy barberry. The golden barberry seems to be dropping a lot of leaves. Is this normal? Also, I one of my pygmy barberry bushes is doing the same thing. What can I do to remedy the problem?

Answer: Dropping leaves on a recently planted shrub usually indicate a watering or root problem. These plants are sensitive to both over and underwatering. The soil should be kept evenly moist but not sopping wet. If you are using a watering system, make sure it is watering at the right level. If you are watering by hand, make sure the water is penetrating the root ball of potting soil and not just running outward from there. You might also wish to consult with the nursery where you purchased the plants, and/or with your county extension, especially if the problem worsens or spreads.