The Q&A Archives: Clivia Miniata

Question: I was just watering my 1 year old clivia miniata and the entire plant at the base broke off in my hands! The soil was not excessively wet or dry and I'm at a loss as to what happened. I have it in my sunroom, which does get very hot and dry, but I was under the impression they liked this. It does not get direct sunlight, but filtered light in the morning. This did great in the house and it actually bloomed for me this past winter. Will my clivia regrow from the root system that's still under the soil? Is this normal? Is the plant dead? I'm so sad. Thank you.

Answer: I'm sorry about your plant! I suspect that you inadvertently overwatered it during the winter resting period when it would also have appreciated cooler temperatures of about 50 degrees and little or no water at all.

In contrast, during the growth period, this plant prefers bright indirect light indoors and plenty of water and fertilizer.

You might wait and see what happens, but if it has rotted then it is probably dead. Here are some care instructions from the International Bulb Society, you might find them helpful next time.