The Q&A Archives: Lack Of Color In Purple Cone Flowers

Question: I have three very healthy looking purple cone flowers. However, the flowers are very pale purple lacking any 'punch' in color. In the past I have had other similar plants produce nice color flowers, but last year I planted this variety (unknown). The plants are tall (3-4' high) but the flowers have a very slight tinge of purple color.

Why? What can I do to bring the color in flowers.

Satish Chandra

Answer: Seedling-grown coneflowers may show a variation in color, while the named varieties would be more consistent. Perhaps you purchased one of these instead of the more typical "Bravado" or "Magnus" that you might have had before. There are also different types of coneflowers other than Echinacea pupurea, some of which are tall, slim, and very pale. A long as the plants are healthy, there isn't too much you can do about flower color.