The Q&A Archives: Mango Seed Starting

Question: I would like to know how to plant a Mango seed after it has been eaten and what kind of soil it takes and do I need to fertilize it and how much to water does it take.

Thank You Cindy Flores

Answer: Seeds taken from fresh fruits can be planted immediately in pots with their tips just showing above the surface of the sandy, fertile soil. If the soil is kept moist in a temperature of about 70 degrees, they'll soon germinate. Seeds that are allowed to dry usually fail to germinate. Seedling trees are usually less desirable than trees of named varieties. Named varieties are propagated by air layering, inarching and, more frequently, by budding or grafting on seedling stocks. Mangoes should be planted in pots with good drainage, filled with sandy, fertile soil. They enjoy temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees. They need good light but not necessarily direct sunlight. The soil should always be kept moist but not saturated. Plants that are established (have filled up their pots with healthy roots) will benefit from a quarter-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer every two weeks during the growing season. Repotting, if necessary, should be done in the spring.