The Q&A Archives: Ferns; How To Make Healthy

Question: I bought a "healthy" Button Fern (Pellaea Rotundifolia). It immediately started to drop all of it's fury limbs and round leaves. It's either in shock or I'm a fern killer. I don't over water, but it's hard becuase it always looks completely dried out, the soil, not the plant. Please help me?!

SD Wells

Answer: Pellaea has an unusual feature for a fern - it prefers dry surroundings to the moist conditions required by most ferns. Your Button Fern should be easy to grow, producing 12" long arching fronds with pairs of round, leathery leaflets. Provide filtered sunlight (or bright, indirect light indoors), water only when soil is dry, and keep the humidity as low as possible around the plant. Don't feed until it perks up. When it does, use a quarter-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer in place of plain water once each month. Good luck with your fern!