The Q&A Archives: Tiny House Plant For Sunny Window Sill

Question: My 3 kids each made me a tiny pinch pot about 1-2" high and 1-2" wide. I'm spring/summer cleaning and want to put them to use. Is there something attractive and low maintenance I can put on a sunny window sill that will last all year?

Answer: This size is so small that it will be difficult to keep the soil moist enough for a plant to survive. If the pots have drainage holes or are porous, you might be able to set them in a shallow saucer of water (or in a terrarium) and grow baby's tears in them but the plant will engulf the little pots. If they are not porous and there is no drainage hole, you might try a small bromeliad or other tiny epiphyte(sometimes sold as air plants -- they need regular misting rather than soil) or for less maintenance, a tiny arrangement of dried flowers. That would allow you to set them anywhere in the home for proud display, too.