The Q&A Archives: Why Is My Star Jasmine Wilting?

Question: Hello,

I've had my star jasmine for a few short weeks and it's severely wilting! Although it's a large plant, I purchased it in a small pot and the retailer advised me not to repot it until it stopped flowering - so I haven't.

Any suggestions? Am I over watering? Not watering enough?

Wilting can be a sign of over- or under-watering, too much sunshine if your star jasmine is outdoors, or not enough light if the plant is indoors. Here's how to remedy the situation: If the soil is soggy, allow it to dry out a bit before watering again. (The first inch of soil should be completely dry.) If the soil is already dry, immerse the pot in a large container of water until the soil is fully saturated, then allow to drain. Don't water again until the top inch of soil is dry. Provide some shelter from hot afternoon sun until your jasmine recovers.