The Q&A Archives: Suckers

Question: l know that suckers can prevent the tomato plant from growing fruit, and l've heard where they are usualy located,somewhere between the stem and main branch but this tid bit of information doesn't exactly pin point it for me. Since there can be more than one growth between a branch and main stem l still have no clue which is which. l am Growing 3 varieties of tomatoes, SWEET 100, BETTER BOY, and BEEFSTEAK. Can you please send me a diogram of this condition and when is the best time to do something about it or is it ever too late?

Answer: Here is a link to a diagram. Note that it is not strictly necessary to do this, but some gardeners consider it routine beginning when the plants bloom and continuing on through the season if desired.

Enjoy your tomatoes.