The Q&A Archives: Astible Care

Question: Do I need to do anything to my astible at this time to insure healthy blooms?

Answer: Astilbe do best in an evenly moist soil that is also rich in nutrients and high in organic matter. Apart from any necessary soil preparation prior to planting, they will benefit from an annual application of compost and/or well rotted manure in the spring as well as possibly an application of a complete granualar fertilizer such as 10-10-10 according to the label instructions. Maintain a layer of several inches of mulch over the root zone to help maintain soil moisture, keep down weeds and feed the soil as it breaks down. Deadheading aftr bloom can also be beneficial. Finally, these plants are very sensitive to moisture stress, so be sure to water deeply less often (rather than sprinkling daily) to encourage deeper rooting.