The Q&A Archives: Bugs Eating Leaves Off My Tiger Lillies

Question: a bug looking like a lady-bug has been eating all the leaves from my tigerlillies (not day-lillies) all over my yard. They are on the underside of the green leaves and leave a brownish/blackish 'goo' behind! Help - are my tigerlillies doomed? So far, the flower-buds are OK.....thank you...

Answer: Unfortunately, I must apologize for the delay in responding to your question. This pest the red lily beetle has been spreading through New England and is potentially deadly to your bulbous (true)lilies as it can decimate a planting. Neem can be used to repel adults and kill larvae and Sevin will also be effective. Neem is best used early in the season when the larvae first appear. Be sure to read and follow the label instructions.