The Q&A Archives: Angel Blush Hydrangea

Question: I purchased 2 of your "Angel Blush hydrangeas", but have not planted them yet. Are you sure that Angel Blush should be planted in partial sun? I grow several paniculatas like "Tardiva" and "PEE Gee" in full sun and they are doing well. Since "Angel Blush" is a paniculata why should it be partial shade? What do you consider partial shade?

Answer: In general, the paniculata types can certainly be grown in full sun or partial shade, with those in full sun doing best with a slightly moister soil and those in shade able to tolerate a slightly drier soil. The pink coloration on this plant will be best in a partial shade location. However, you could certainly try them in an area where you have other paniculatas doing so well and see what happens -- you may be pleased with this one's performance there as well. Partial shade is typically a location with dappled light all day, shade at the middle of the day, or in warmer climates, sun for the cooler morning hours only. I apologize for the delay in answering your question.