The Q&A Archives: Recipies For Using Kohlrabi

Question: I planted kohlrabi and don't know when or how to pick it or what part of the plant to eat. I would appreciate some specific recipies and directions. I know nothing about it except it grows extremely well in my garden and I have a ton of it. It is about a foot high right now. HELP....Thank you very much, Alice*

Answer: Kohlrabi is a member of the cabbage family and produces a turnip-sized edible bulb above the ground. The whole plant can be stir-fried, leaves and all, if the plant is harvested when the bulb is small (about 2" in diameter). The bulb can grow to tennis-ball size and still be mild and tasty, but if allowed to get much larger can become woody and dry. Kohlrabi grows best in cooler fall or spring weather (hot, dry weather makes them woody). Try harvesting at different stages to see which you prefer. You can stir-fry or boil the bulb and the leaves, or add them to soups. Enjoy!