The Q&A Archives: Non-blooming Mountain Laurel

Question: Your answer to non-blooming mountain laurel said it takes a mature shrub. Ours is several years old and bloomed beautifully last year. This year...nothing. Should I have snipped off old blooms? (I did not until the spring.) Why the drastic change? Many thanks.

Answer: The most typical reason for lack of bloom in a mountain laurel that has been blooming and in place for several years is improper pruning. The blooms occur on wood set the previous year. If you prune in the spring before bloom, you will remove the flower buds. Removing the spent flowers is beneficial if it is done immediately after blooming, the benefit is reduced by doing it later in the season or the following year. I apologize for the delay in answering your question.