The Q&A Archives: Meaning Of Days To Harvest

Question: On all of my seed packages it has a days to harvest section. I know this is a rough estimate, but does it start at the time of sowing or the time of germination? Is it for the time at which the fruit is done growing or the time at which it is ripe? I need to know for watermelons, pumpkins, and cucumbers mostly.

Answer: This is typically the length of time from planting in the garden, be it seed or transplant. There is usually variation however due to growing conditions and the season each year. Watermelons are ready when the bottom turns a buttery yellow, pumpkins when the rind has hardened. Cucumbers are ready when they have reached a nice size and will bear repeatedly if the cukes are picked off regularly.